How fast has the last 12 month gone? It still feels extremely bizarre returning to work after the Christmas holidays and opening up a 2017 diary. New Year is all about planning new trips and making new memories and so, I thought I would take a trip down last years memory lane to share some of the truly incredible memories and trips I was lucky enough to take in 2016.
Ibiza, the well loved white island in the mediterranean sea. This Balearic Island has to be on everyone’s bucket list to visit. Well known for its thriving nightlife and high temperatures, Ibiza makes for the perfect girly break. This year I was able to finally experience it for the first time and it definitely lives up to all expectations.
- Booking a sea-view table at Cafe Mambo – the sunset, DJ set, cocktails and food made the perfect setting for an evening in San Antonio.
- Ushuaia BBC radio 1 weekend – after visiting Ushuaia twice in the 7 nights, it definitely became a personal favourite. There’s something special about open-air clubs and the atmosphere was insane.
Spending 10 days in Mexico, Cancun in October has to be the highlight of my 2016. Presented with white beaches, turquoise waters, secret cenotes, historical ruins and of course, the food and drink, Cancun offers all in luxury from the moment you arrive. The level of service provided by staff at our complex was something I have never had the pleasure of witnessing before. They couldn’t do enough for us, from the bar staff around the beaches to the 24-hour room service, if you want to be treated and fed like a queen, Cancun should be on your travel list.
- Zip lining over the Mexican rainforest and abseiling into underground cenotes – being scared of heights I wanted to face my fears and this, I did.
- Visiting Tulum – the views at Tulum are something dream are made of. Ancient ruins, white beaches, palm trees and turquoise waters, is literally all that needs to be said.
- Turtle conservation – visiting a turtle conservation and witnessing turtles in their natural environment has to be up there with one of the top experiences of my life, not just 2016. We only actually caught sight of 2, but this hands down beats seeing 10 in captivity. To witness these creatures in their own natural environment, snorkelling close to them and watching them graze on the seabeds of Mexico, it was truly an amazing experience.
The Lake District
Who says you have to travel internationally to experience great adventure? A trip to the Lake District for my 25th Birthday in the Spring offered a relaxing weekend break involving scenic walks, log fires, hot tubs and of course, some fabulous afternoon tea. (View my full visit to the Lakes District here.)
- The Beatrix Potter Shop – visiting the Beatrix Potter Shop in Keswick brought a whole lot of nostalgia to our trip.
- Lounging in a lodge – this may not sound exciting, but spending time in a beautiful lodge in a beautiful setting with no plans other than taking a dip in the hot tub is all a girl really needs on her 25th birthday. Sometimes it’s the simple things.
I only spent 24 hours in York this year and this definitely wasn’t enough time to see and do everything I wanted to do. (View my full what to do in York guide) Activities included visiting York Minister and Yorks most famous street, the Shambles finished off with a delicious brunch at Betty’s Tearooms.
- Discovering El Piano, the locally sourced vegan cafe offered a range of delicious food including their own ‘chorizo’ and ‘mayonnaise’ and they taste even better knowing they are animal-friendly.
- Pastries, pastries, pastries, with Betty’s Tearooms and bakeries on each street you are definitely spoilt for choice when it comes to delicious food in York. Definitely, a reason to visit, even if it’s just for a cream tea!
Cheers to 2016!
With a couple of trips already in the pipeline for this year, I can’t wait to get started on making more special memories in 2017.